Participation with focus is the elusive holy grail of all facilitators when using remote technologies for meeting and learning events. But movies, videos and TV programs, which provide excellent entertainment and valuable knowledge, have trained us all to go into passive mode whenever we view big- or small-screen presentations. This passive mode is embedded in us, but it is in direct opposition to the attention and engagement needed for effective learning and retention.
As more and more people talk about being “zoomed out,” and people everywhere are raising alarms about the shortcomings of remote learning, the need to find ways to incorporate more active, dynamic, engaging processes into our learning programs is clear. While people wait for the development of affordable, 3D immersive technologies that will enable life-like remote events, there is already a technology available that is fully developed, affordable and widely accessible: OpenSim-based 3D environments.
Imagine yourself (as an avatar) inside a 3D environment on your computer screen where, along with others, you actively participate in experiential learning and dynamic discussions.
Within the OpenSim 3D world:
- Participants can engage in both individual and group-based synchronous and asynchronous learning processes
- Facilitators can utilize incremental learning and dynamic discussions to enhance understanding and retention
ATD’s 3D SIG was formed to explore and expand the possibilities available via use of these 3D environments. Join us and discover how you can use these environments to make remote learning more active, interactive, engaging and effective.
The goal of our 3D SIG:
- to provide you the best experience in creating an environment you can transfer to your own needs for your business or organization
- to help you see the opportunity to increase the effectiveness and engagement of your learners
- to provide support through the group
- to provide opportunities for networking with others along with guest speakers to discuss how they use the 3D environment
In our meetings, you will be guided on different uses of the environment.
We will meet in the 3D Environment from 5:30 – 7:00pm. At present we meet on the 2nd Tuesdays each month.
See and sign up for the next 3D Learning SIG event under EVENT LISTINGS on this website.
For more information about our group, or, if you are not a chapter member, to request an invitation for a ‘trial run’, please contact Bruce at firstname.lastname@example.org